Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Rewind Post: Fraction Kites

That's right...I'm posting again!  Oh the joys of being able to schedule posts!  It means I can sit down at one time and write two (or three) rewind posts and have them post themselves.

So here it is, another rewind post...on Fractions!

For some reason my kids had a really hard time with fractions this year.  I don't know if I didn't spend enough time on them, or if I taught it in a way they didn't understand, or if they didn't have the background knowledge...but for whatever reason, it was just hard.  Next year I'll be trying something different.

Anyway, our FCAT is split into 4 days - 2 reading, 2 math.  So on the reading days, I try to do some kind of math activity after the test, and vice versa.  Every year, we do fraction kites on the first day of FCAT.  I can't find where I found the idea from originally...so if you know, please let me know!

Anyway, the project starts with a square divided into 25 equal squares.  My students are required to use certain colors when they color in their squares.  But they color in the squares, and then have to figure out what percentage of their kite is each color.  We then write the fractions on bows to add to the tails of the kites.  It's just an easy, quick refresher about the basics of fractions.   They look wonderful going down the hallway.





What do you do to teach fractions?  Cause I would LOVE some new ideas for next year.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment