Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

My first Five for Friday

So ever since I started following blogs, I've seen the Five for Friday linky.  I've never linked up before, until now...yay!

Welcome to my FIRST Five for Friday!

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/06/five-for-friday-linky-party-june-13th.html


Since technically this post is about 5 things that happened within the past week, I'm going to start with Saturday...
I teach a Sunday School class at my church for 1st-5th grade (in one class...I know!)  Which means lots of fun...but it also means I've got a lot of kids who are in and out of my SS room.  And most of them are dancers at one of our local dance schools.  Saturday was recital day.  And I was asked to come watch them dance.  So I got to go to 2 of the 3 performances.  I LOVE dance, and the school teaches ballet, jazz, tap, lyrical, and hip hop...so it was wonderful.  And my kids totally rocked it.

For the past few years I have been working off and on with a summer camp at our local university.  The summer camps are a week long, and are on a broad range of topics.  This summer I am teaching three camps, and this week was my first one...Robotics Camp for rising 1st-2nd graders!  We used the Legos robotics kits...and it was wonderful!


Which brings me to number three...
Every year I make my kiddos create a "dream robot".  What would your dream robot do?  What would it look like?  And then they have to make it out of recycled materials.


There's a time machine, bodyguard, milk shake maker (with attached TV) and a robot that you fly you wherever you want to go.  Personally I think these rocked.


A few years ago, I remember there was this big science project centered around Eggbert.  Eggbert was an (egg) astronaut who had to stay safe in the rocket you built for him.  What would you have to add to keep him safe?

Well, since I try to tie in all kinds of robots, we always talk about the Mars Rover and different things about it.  One of them, of course, is about how when they sent the rover, they had to make sure it would land safely.  So instead of Eggbert, we have to make sure our rover (the egg) lands safely on Mars.  I've never done this project with a group this young...I should've given them a LOT more cotton balls.  None of our rovers survived.  :-(
Oh well, something to remember for next summer!



I've got another camp in a week so honestly I've been planning and supply listin' and whatnot for that camp this week.  No rest for the weary!

Thanks for staying with me for my first Five for Friday!

1 comment: