Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Whole Brain Teaching Conference

So about a month ago I went to a Whole Brain Teaching conference in Pineville, Louisiana.  Wow.  I mean, WOW!  I have been looking into WBT since December.  At home over Christmas Break I went searching hardcore for something new for my classroom.  I wanted something that would increase student engagement, and cut down on behavior problems.  My wife calls my room the home for wayward boys.  I get all those kiddos who are behavior problems in other rooms.  Since I've worked in a behavior unit, my principal loves giving me those kinds of kids...and I love it.  I really do.  But I needed something a little different.  I had heard about WBT, so I went scouring YouTube for videos.  I was really impressed.  However, I was already making a huge change in my room once we got back...so I decided to wait.  Honestly, I'm glad I did.

Don't get me wrong...I think you can learn WBT through the YouTube videos.  They are amazing.  But I learned SO much through this conference.  It was a great way to get some practice with other educators who are also practicing.  My breakout leader is a teacher.  He has real-life experience using WBT in a classroom.  I love that.  I love that when people champion something, they've actually used it.  He gave us real examples of how this system has worked in his classroom.

I also read the Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids book that Chris Biffle (the creator of WBT) wrote.  Wow again.

I can't wait to use this strategy in my classroom.  For real.

No comments:

Post a Comment